Monday 9 April 2012

Printmaking Project: Rosie In Wonderland




These sketches were done mostly on tube journeys when I had nothing else to turn to for entertainment but my imagination. The eye of a peacock feather is a key emblem within my work. I'm not sure why it always pops up but it adds tone and weight to the drawings as well as references to nature.




My main source of inspiration was David Hockney's version of Hogarth's "The Rakes Progress" a personal narrative about his first travels to America.
I love the rough texture of these etchings, they make the images so much more personal and exciting. You can really understand Hockey's experiences from these simple yet stimulating images.


 These images are ideas for etchings I want to do in a similar autobiographical manner as Hockey's. The are narratives of experiences, thoughts and dreams I've had in the last year. Some of them are symbolic some are more accurate. 



This drawing is about an experience I had with someone who wanted to kiss me once....I didn't want to kiss them....you get the idea.....
We had a ladybird invasion in the autumn....I had a dream that I was coughing up ladybirds over the side of my bed...This dream was visually and mentally inspiring....I am still finding ladybirds in my room and I'm fascinated with the creatures. They don't bother me and I don't bother them. We have learned to live with eachother.....
This picture is about when I had a cold....my head hurt, my mouth hurt, my eyes stung. It was horrible.
This image is about getting close to people. I have made some amazing friends over the last year or so...I would do anything for them and I know they would do the same for me.


This one is about being grumpy and upset. The best way to deal with this is just to sit it out.....




No comments:

Post a Comment