Wednesday 14 March 2012

Illustration: Record Covers

Been looking at some record covers to get inspiration for my new project...
I wanted to come up with an artist who made the kind of music I liked but also the kind of person I'd like to be. It wasn't a serious fantasy....but if I could be any kind of musician, I would be a cool soul singer with an afro. Someone with a lot to say about the world around them and stories to tell.
I looked at artists like Marelena Shaw and Ann Peebles, women who were graceful yet tough and oozed confidence and poise.



I wanted to visit a record shop and really get to understand the experience of sifiting through records. It is completely different experience to buying music these days. The feeling of holding a 12" in your hand, looking at the album art, reading about the artists is a much more enjoyable way of collecting music. It is an object, a thing that you can keep forever, rather than a bit of data that you might play a few times on your iPod.









 I am really glad that I am doing a project that combines both my love for music and art. I can use my imagination to conjure up an imaginary band and hopefully create something that is more than a drawing but an object, a thing.

I listened to the song "Juvenile Delinquent" by Frankie Lymon




I thought this kid seemed wiser beyond his years. It is a really odd but powerful song and it can easily be relevant today.
I wanted to create a band but with a strong lead singer. Thought a name like something & the somethings
eg. Iggy Pop & The Stooges, KC & The Sunshineband, Booker T & The MGs


I also wanted a name that looked good aesthetically....it sounds fickle but thats what I wanted.


So VV & The Delinquents was born.....

Once I had a name, I began sketching some ideas.....



Some starting points...



No comments:

Post a Comment