Monday 12 December 2011

New Print Making Project: Body Modification


Body Modification:

"The example of tattooing the body is one such ‘decoration’ as is the use of paints cosmetics, jewellery, headgear or clothing. This ‘decoration’ could also be described as ‘body modification’ but at the same time respects and sometimes contradicts the symmetries of the organic form. An order (the pattern) is superimposed on an existing order (the body) which either harmonises or confuses. (The girl = harmony; the boy = confusion.)"

I have always been fascinated by body modification across all cultures as the human form is a big aspect of my work. It is also a lot about identity and status which is a subject I am also interested in taking further.

The idea of harmonising or contradicting the symmetries of the organic form is something that I would love to explore through drawings and prints and I believe it would be something that would expand my own personal style as well as my knowledge of other cultures.


No comments:

Post a Comment